POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Displacement mapping with POV-Man! : Displacement mapping with POV-Man! Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Displacement mapping with POV-Man!
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 26 Oct 2000 13:41:07
Message: <39F86CEE.962DE9F4@aetec.ee>
j/k! Heh, I guess You didn't believed it anyway!
Of course not displacement mapping, this is just example of
hypertextures (basically it is raymarching over sphere volume in order
to calculate normal and density). Shader is adapted from ARM ("Advanced
RenderMan", shaders from this book are available at
http://www.bmrt.org/arman/materials.html ), rendering time was around 5
minutes on 350 Mhz Pentium (I tried to render it with self-shadowing,
but it took too long, perhaps later).
Of course such shader is quite expensive in terms of time and for now it
has no practical use (isosurfaces are probably faster), but perhaps in
future, when computing power of Cray is on each table, it will be more
used.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hypertex.jpg' (26 KB)